Monday, June 22, 2009

Venus Fly Trap


I will never forget the day I spotted Venus Fly Trap plants for sale at Wal – Mart. I was so pumped. I always wanted a creepy looking plant that eats flies. I carried it all around the store and held it in my lap on the way home so it wouldn’t get crushed by our impulse Wal – Mart purchases. When we got home I placed it by the toaster in the kitchen and stared at it. It wasn’t very fun. There weren’t any flies to eat because it was winter. So I got so mad. In the haste of my anger I decided to make split pea soup. Made sense – comfort food to help me cope with my hungry plant on a cold winter day. Anyway after I put the peas in the water I decided to cube a ham steak I had just bought at Wal - Mart. I then got the best idea ever to feed my new boring hungry plant some ham. I was so excited!! I cut a small piece of ham and threw it at the “mouth” of the plant. It took me a couple tries to get it in there because I thought it would trap my finger and I would have to rip off it’s head. So finally after many failed attempts I just used a toothpick and got the ham in there. The thing snapped shut so fast that I dropped the toothpick. It was so neat. Anyway so the thing shuts and then all the excitement was over until the head started turning black a few days later. The stupid thing didn’t even “digest” the ham and it rotted. Then the head fell off. I was so mad I slammed in “google” into the web browser and searched, “Venus Fly Trap” and guess what I found – you should NEVER feed your plant ham. Hmmm – good to know. Stupid things should come with a warning. Soup tasted good. Plant ended up dying though. It wasn’t a very good idea.

2 comments:

  1. Funny! We fed ours bologna and it didn't die, FYI!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - you have good luck with weird things. I bet if you and I got Ant Farms at the same time your ants would tunnel and mine would eat eachother. Remember our sea monkeys? Your's grew - mine molded. Your goldfish - died ... because of me ... dang.

    ReplyDelete